Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Training Tuesday 2/26/08

Got busy with homework this evening, never made it around to the regular workout. Wednesday will be difficult as well with an evening online class project group meeting -- maybe I have a couple of built-in "recovery" days here this week before volleyball on Thursday, then driving to see my folks on Friday night after work. I guess you do what you can and get back to it when you can.

My biking teammate who is doing the 100 miles with me wants revenge. He's added a caveat to his "sure I'll do 100 miles" statement... ;-) In July, he wants a partner for a sprint triathlon. I looked up a sprint triathlon to find out what it entailed. Looks to me like it's about a 700m swim, 20K bike, and then running a 5K. Coming from a family of fish, I was surprised to see my greatest trepidation has to do with the swim, mostly because I can remember doing a portion of an outdoor triathlon where I was the swimmer with some friends down in Austin, TX. The amount of contact and battering in the water was not something I enjoyed at all. Throw in that I haven't done laps in a pool in a long time, and it's a touch daunting, but I'm sure doable. Probably a good challenge for the summer after the century bike ride. I feel pretty good about such a short distance on the bike (that's WELL under an hour -- no worries there), and although I truly despite running, a 5K (3.1 miles) is certainly achievable, even for a klutz like me. Putting them all together, though, could be interesting.

In last fall's duathlon, the hardest part of the race was the bike to run transition. During training, when I really pushed on the bike, the transition to running was a bit awkward for the first couple hundred yards. Once I got moving it wasn't too bad, but it took a bit of getting used to. I'm wondering if there's a similar effect on the swim-bike transition. Do triathlon swimmers swim any differently (perhaps using more upper-body and trying to save their legs for the bike and run)? This will definitely take some more research (thankfully I have a couple friends/co-workers who have done this before and will hopefully provide some advice)!


Nutrition:

  • Breakfast -- large decaf coffee and a Fiber One oats/chocolate bar
  • Lunch -- got busy and completely forgot about lunch
  • Dinner -- finished off the gnocchi in the fridge as well as the grapes, even dove into a bit of salad!

No comments: