Monday, June 16, 2008

Hermano Ride

Was down in Pennsylvania visiting my folks last weekend, and managed to sneak in a quick ride with my younger brother. He has a new Lemond Alpe d'Huez, so we decided we'd do about a 25 mile ride, hoping to sneak it in before the rains hit. I was sneaky, and pretended I didn't know where we were headed so I could draft off him on the way out and perhaps give the illusion I was a strong rider (he's young, he can take it). He took it easy on me, however, and eased up on the pace as we cruised along at about 17-18 mph.

The ride out was uneventful. We started on top of a fairly large hill, coasted to the bottom, then headed out about 13 miles before turning around and coming back. A few minutes after turning around, however, we got absolutely drenched. Since little bro had a battery-powered light on the back of his bike, I took the lead and he brought up the rear to help cars see us in the heavy rains as I pulled through the torrential downpour back into town. Sure could have used some windshield wipers on my sunglasses. The rain abated as we pulled into town.

We took a different route back up the hill to avoid the highest grades, but still had a substantial climb at the end of the route -- it was about all I could handle (and I still need to get a 12-27 installed for my rear cassette). He thought it was fun, though -- and even practices the hills over and over. A good thing to do, I can't argue, but does he has to be so jovial and happy about it? Lightweights and hills. Grrrrr.
Overall, though, it was a great day for gentle 27-mile loop and I very much enjoyed my first ride with my brother.

Ride Statistics:

  • Distance: 26.97 miles
  • Speed: 15.9 mph
  • Max Speed: 30.1 mph
  • Avg. HR: 146 bpm
  • Max HR: 192 bpm
  • Calories Burned: ~1664

No comments: